Shows come and go. Some closing notices are tragic (an open ended run), some are expected (a limited engagement), and some really don’t mean shit (regional theatre). But to the people who are members of the casts that are going not-so-gently into that dark night, a show’s closing can make for a somewhat traumatic experience for you on the Internet. Often, your various social media platforms become plagued with obligatory closing-notice-sobbing, that you literally can’t even begin to even with. That is why in honor of all of the shows that close in January (and throughout the year), I have constructed the:
“Your Friend’s Show is Closing and You Can’t Deal with Them” Drinking Game!
This game is awesome because you can apply it to any time someone you know is in a show and that show is closing (just use caution if it’s a college show, because you. will. die.) All you have to do is crack open some Svedka and your smartphone, and revel in the self-congratulatory-sadness that is your friend’s closing weekend. Apply it to your own show if you’re really jaded!
UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED, DRINK WHEN SOMEONE POSTS ANY OF THE FOLLOWING WORDS:
- life changing (drink twice)
- experience (drink twice)
- life changing and experience in the same sentence (switch to butt chugging)
- the best show I have ever done (take a shot because it wasn’t)
- amazing again
- something about being “the greatest cast/company” (take a few extra drinks for all of the people who have previously done a show with this person and have now been offended.)
- heart is so full (kill yourself)
- humbled (finish the bottle and unfollow)
If you don’t know anyone who is closing a show in the near future, try this game during the closing weekend of Spring Awakening!