It has come to my attention that many of my new followers have no clue I am writing a book. For those who are new, here’s a recap:
“In the style of my SMASH Don’t Give a Shit blogs, #SOBLESSED: the Annoying Actor Friend’s Guide to Werking in Show Business is a satirical ‘how-to’ book that explains everything from choosing the right college, pounding the pavement, and getting your Equity card to regional theatre, Broadway, national tours, and of course, behaving on social media – all in a quest to find what it means to be #SOBLESSED.”
As of today, September 14th, 2013, I officially have a completed first draft “manuscript.” Some refer to the first draft as the “throw-up draft.” This is when an author throws everything onto the page to see what sticks. My “throw-up draft” was definitely index finger induced and I will work tirelessly until October 8th to clean up and deliver to you a streamlined product that lovingly walks the line between cohesive story telling and WTF-Was-He/She-Smoking?
I began writing #SOBLESSED in June and I would like to share with you a few things about my experience working on it thus far…
- I now know more about the SETA contract than I ever wanted.
- CollegeConfidential.com is a fucking scary place.
- I lost an entire week of productivity to Orange is the New Black.
- It is possible to make references to both Game of Thrones and My Best Friend’s Wedding in the same sentence when discussing national tours.
- I’ve spent more time on Kickstarter.com than anyone ever should.
- I felt personally disgusted in myself anytime I made a reference to a musical.
- You can never have enough hashtags.
- This business is fucked up.
I hope at least five or six of you are as excited about this as I am!