It began as a tweet. That tweet turned into a blog. The blog into a book. On September 20th, that book comes to the stage in an event I’ve often referred to as, That Time I Challenged Myself to See How Long I Can Drag This Out.
There probably really are 54 reasons you should come to @Actor_Friend @54Below — one of them being that it’s an extremely tedious title to type. However, I won’t bore you with more than 9 of them, because even I have the attention span of sorry I just got back from watching all of the songs in Pete’s Dragon on YouTube while in the middle of writing this sentence.
The Top 9 Reasons Why You Should Give A Shit About @Actor_Friend @54Below:
1. This Shit is For Charity: Proceeds from this event will benefit Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. I know there are a lot of BC/EFA events throughout the year, and there should be because Broadway Cares is FUCKING AWESOME.
2. Interactive Drinking Game: You may be familiar with my drinking games, and quite possibly have played many of them alone (I know I have!). This time you won’t have to. We are taking Annoying Actor Friend drinking games to the next level at 54 Below! It will blow your mind like a BuzzFeed article. You’ll be playing throughout the show and competing for prizes alongside friends, or people you don’t give a shit about. Also, you don’t need to actually drink to participate, either!
3. Fun Autographed Things: There will be “@ctor Friend” signed copies of #SOBLESSED for sale benefiting BC/EFA, as well as signed stuff by members of the @Actor_Friend @54Below cast! We will also be auctioning off a copy of #SOBLESSED, signed by the cast of the audiobook. There are only two of these out there in the whole world, so bring your checkbook — otherwise you’ll have to duke it out for the remaining copy at the Broadway Flea Market the next morning.
4. I Might Be There: I am currently trying to work out the comp situation. I’ll get back to you.
5. This Shit is For Charity: Everyone involved in making @Actor_Friend @54Below happen is doing it on their own time, for a cause we give a tremendous amount of shit about.
6. Because Broadway Bound: If you are doing a regional show with a predominately Equity cast, then there is a 100% chance your show is “eyeing a Broadway run.” This show is no different. We are 100% eyeing a Broadway transfer in the unconfirmed future. So, this One Night Only event is the very first workshop of #SOBLESSED: the musical. Don’t you want to see it first, so you can tell all your friends about the cut songs when we open on Broadway?
7. Surprises!: I never know what the fuck is going to happen on any given day.
My Monday began with this:
— AnnoyingActorFriend (@Actor_Friend) September 8, 2014
And ended with this:
— AnnoyingActorFriend (@Actor_Friend) September 9, 2014
This concert is no exception. We have stuff planned, but you know… A lot of unexpected awesomeness can happen in 75 minutes.
8. The Cast: What the hell is going on with the madness of this cast? Seriously. I’m not in it, so I can speak openly and freely without fear of breaching on #ShamelessSelfPromotion.
Kyle Dean Massey and Nic Rouleau are the stars of Pippin and The Book of Mormon. Lesli Margherita has a freaking Olivier Award. Stephan Wallem is in the middle of filming the final season of Nurse Jackie. Paige Faure is making one of her last New York appearances before taking her Cinderella on tour. Jessica Grove´ began her career as a teenager opposite Mickey Rooney and you know she has batshit stories about that. Nikka Graff Lanzarone was in Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown. I’ll say that again. Women. On. The. Verge. Of. A. Nervous. Breakdown. The Musical. And Tony nominee Keala Settle is a fucking wild card. This night was designed to be epic.
I couldn’t be more #blessed and #grateful to have this cast. You don’t want to miss them.
9. THIS SHIT IS FOR CHARITY.
We hope to see you there!